Antibiotics & Bacterial Flora
Children are more sensitive to antibiotic treatments compared to adults as their microbiota colonies are still developing, leaving them more vulnerable.
Alteration of Microbial Populations
A lack of beneficial microbes means the body is more susceptible to illness, including digestive conditions.
Children Struggle to Rebalance Bacteria
Particularly when those bacteria were reduced by antibiotics. It takes a young body a substantial amount of time to replenish the lost colonies, leaving a large window of vulnerability for gut disorder to set in.
Viral Prescription Medications
Antibiotics can only work against bacterial infections. Often they are used for viral infections, rendering them ineffective. This can be unnecessarily harmful to the intestines.
Symptoms of Antibiotic Related Gut Disorders in Children
Children are more sensitive to antibiotic treatments compared to adults. Common occurrences include:
Rashes and nausea are common when a child is introduced to an unfamiliar medication.
Diarrhea is common in children during antibiotic treatments due to their effect on gut microbiome. Kids experiencing this need to drink sufficient water to prevent dehydration.
When antibiotics destroy the good bacteria of a child’s intestine, cramping and bloating tend to follow close behind.
How to Prevent Antibiotics from Affecting Your Child
As a parent, it’s your responsibility to try to protect the body of a child going through antibiotic treatment.
How can Bacillus clausii help you solve your gut problems?
Bacillus clausii is a type of spore-forming good bacteria that works to rebalance the intestine. When consumed regularly (or as advised by a HCP), it can help to treat and prevent different conditions associated to gut disorder.
Getting to know your gut, and identifying your personal triggers, is the first step to better intestinal health. Stay informed as to how gut microbiota become negatively affected by everything from traveling to seasonal changes, and how to bring about internal balance to your life.
- Enterogermina® 2 billion Patient Information Leaflet Last revised Jul 2019.
- Enterogermina® 6 billion Patient Information Leaflet Last revised Jul 2019.
- Enterogermina® 2 billion capsules Patient Information Leaflet Last revised Jul 2019.
- Product information
- Stress and stomach pain: When should you see a specialist?; UChicagoMedicine. Chicago: The University of Chicago Medicine; 2020 [quoted June 2021] https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/forefront/gastrointestinal-articles/stress-and-stomach-pain-when-should-you-see-a-specialist
- Healthy Eating Pyramid; Harvard University. Boston: Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health; 2008 [quoted June 2021]. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-pyramid/