The Small and Large Intestine
Upon leaving the stomach, food and water enter into the small intestine, where they begin the journey toward the large intestine.
The large intestine is the finale to the digestive process. Components include the appendix, caecum, colon, and rectum. 1
How can rebalancing your intestinal flora help solve your gut problems?
When consumed regularly, good bacteria, such as Bacillus clausii, can work to restore the balance of the intestinal flora in the gut. A balanced gut lessens the risk of gut disorders such as diarrhoea and bloating. 3
Learn more about how different daily triggers could be contributing to intestinal disorders, and how a good probiotic could be the ally you didn't know you needed.
- How does the intestine work?; NCBI, 2011 [quoted June 2021] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279303/
- SMALL/LARGE INTESTINE LENGTH RATIO; CARTA [quoted June 2021] https://carta.anthropogeny.org/moca/topics/smalllarge-intestine-length-ratio
- Jewel, T. (2019) What causes dysbiosis & how is it treated? Healthline. Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/digestive-health/dysbiosis. Accessed on 25/05/2021
- What to know about leaky gut syndrome; MedicalNewsToday, August 2019 [quoted June 2021] https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326117#what-is-it
- Side effects-Antibiotics; NHS, May 2019 [quoted June 2021] https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/antibiotics/side-effects/
- What to know about indigestion or dyspepsia; MedicalNewsToday, October 2020 [quoted June 2021] https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/163484
- What Causes Dysbiosis and How Is It Treated?; Healthline, February 2019 [quoted June 2021] https://www.healthline.com/health/digestive-health/dysbiosis
- Gastrointestinal diseases during pregnancy: what does the gastroenterologist need to know?; PMC, April 2017 [quoted June 2021] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6033757/
- Diarrhea in Children; Johns Hopkins Medicine, [quoted June 2021] https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/diarrhea-in-children