What are the Main Causes of Abdominal Pain in Children?
There is a myriad of potential causes of abdominal pain in both children and infants. The following are among the most common: 1
Imbalanced gut bacteria as a result of stress, medications or travel can cause symptoms of a gut disorder. These include constipation and diarrhoea and may bring about abdominal pain. 2,3
How to Recognise Abdominal Pain in Children
Use the following symptomatic criteria to determine exactly what kind of abdominal pain your child may be experiencing, and then how to help manage it. When in doubt, always consult with a doctor or healthcare practitioner.
How to Prevent Abdominal Pain in Children
Preventing abdominal pain in your child in the long run, will require daily effort and attentiveness from you.
How can Bacillus clausii help you solve your gut problems?
Bacillus clausii is a type of spore-forming good bacteria that works to rebalance the flora in your intestine. When consumed regularly, it can help to reduce the incidence of symptoms associated with gut disorders.
Learn how different daily triggers could be contributing to intestinal disorders, and how a good probiotic could be the ally you didn't know you needed.
- Acute Abdominal Pain in Children, American Family Physician, June 2003 [quoted June 2021] https://www.aafp.org/afp/2003/0601/p2321.html
- Abdominal Pain in Infants and Children, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, October 1996 [quoted June 2021] https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(11)63773-7/fulltext
- Enterogermina 2B + 4B Product information
- 9 Seriously Germy Places—And How to Protect Your Child, Parents, November 2019 [quoted June 2021] https://www.parents.com/health/cold-flu/cold/germs/
- Stomachaches, Kids Health, February 2019 [quoted June 2021] https://kidshealth.org/en/kids/abdominal-pain.html
- What's Causing Your Abdominal Pain and How to Treat It, Healthline, December 2020 [quoted June 2021] https://www.healthline.com/health/abdominal-pain
- Abdominal pain in children, Better Health, July 2013 [quoted June 2021] https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/abdominal-pain-in-children
- Baby Massage for Gas, Healthline, June 2020 [quoted June 2021] https://www.healthline.com/health/baby/baby-massage-for-gas-2
- Treating Gastroenteritis and Dehydration in Your Child; American Family Physician, December 1999 [quoted June 2021] https://www.aafp.org/afp/1999/1201/p2565.html
- Probiotics; MedicineNet, March 2021 [quoted June 2021] https://www.medicinenet.com/probiotics/artcle.htm
- 7 Signs Your Child Has a Food Sensitivity, The Healthy, September 2020 [quoted June 2021] https://www.thehealthy.com/family/childrens-health/food-sensitivity/
- Abdominal Pain: Common Causes of Stomach Pain in Children, On Health, October 2020 [quoted June 2021] https://www.onhealth.com/content/1/children_abdominal_stomach_pain
- Probiotics for paediatric functional abdominal pain disorders: A rapid review, NIH, May 2019 [quoted June 2021] https://pubmed.ncbi.nim.ni.gov/31528110/