What Causes Abdominal Pain?
Here are some possible causes of bellyache. If you can identify the cause, it could be an indication of the kind of treatment you could seek.
Gas production and retention can lead to symptoms of bloating in the lower abdomen. 1
Symptoms of constipation can be painful, and so can the eventual passing of the hardened stool. 2
Loose stools can cause much distress to the gut and is usually accompanied by moderate to severe cramping. 3
How to Recognise Abdominal Pain
Use the following guideline to determine exactly what kind of abdominal pain you are dealing with, and how to manage it accordingly. Always consult with a doctor or healthcare practitioner.
This type of pain is usually isolated to one area in the abdomen. Localised abdominal pain may be caused by an imbalance in a particular organ. 1
The pain is associated with bloating, constipation and diarrhoea. It tends to fluctuate and may require treatment. 2
Severe conditions, such as gallstones or kidney stones, can bring about colicky abdominal pain and can include spasms. 1
Abdominal Pain: Tips & Remedies
Abdominal pain can be crippling in certain instances. Here are some easy-to-remember tips that may help make it easier to cope.
Use a heating pad or hot water bottle
Applying warmth to the abdomen can help to relieve the incessant cramping. Taking a bath is another option. 4
Avoid difficult-to-digest foods
Digestion is a mammoth task for the body, without the addition of abdominal pain. Foods that contain much water, such as fruits and veggies, are easier to digest. 4
Lying down gives stomach acid the chance to go backwards, which will increase your pain levels. Sit or stand upright, until the pain subsides. 5
How to Prevent Abdominal Pain
Stomach-related pain is tricky to prevent, as this condition can have so many triggers. The following could help with long-term prevention:
Wash your hands before every meal
When you eat, your hands can sometimes transmit harmful bacteria onto your food or into your mouth. If your immune system isn’t on top of things, digestive trouble can be the result. 7
Take a daily probiotic
Incorporating a probiotic into your routine is one way to ensure you’re doing something each day to reduce the incidence of intestinal disorders. 6
Frequently Asked Questions
Abdominal pain can put a dampener on any situation. You probably have a few questions for us. Check out our FAQ.
Abdominal pain has many different causes. Infection, inflammation and bacterial imbalance are among the most common of these. 1
A hot water bottle on the abdomen or restriction of certain foods and beverages can help ease cramps and spasms. 4 Abdominal pain, dysbiosis or antibiotic use can also be conveniently managed with Enterogermina's comprehensive range of products.
Probiotics work to restore healthy gut microbes that can be lost during antibiotic therapy, which may lead to unpleasant side effects. 8
Of course there is. There are a number of things one can do to make abdominal pain a thing of the past. Incorporating a daily dose of Bacillus clausii into your diet is one of them, delivering probiotic benefits to the body, and this can help ease cramps and spasms. 9
Entrogermina's range of products works with the body to deliver effective solutions to various digestive conditions - the key to internal balance.
Enterogermina® 2 Billion
A ready-to-drink vial containing Bacillus clausii spores that support the restoration of intestinal bacterial flora, in order to relieve symptoms of gut imbalance, including diarrhoea.
Enterogermina® 4 Billion
A single vial provides your daily dose of good bacteria, suitable for the whole family, for the restoration of gut microbiota that may have become unbalanced through lifestyle and antibiotics.
How can Bacillus clausii help you solve your gut problems?
Bacillus clausii is a type of spore-forming good bacteria that works to rebalance the flora in your intestine. When consumed regularly, it can help to manage different conditions associated with gut disorders.
Learn how different daily triggers could be contributing to intestinal disorders, and how a good probiotic could be the ally you never knew you needed!
What are You Doing to Protect Your Gut from Antibiotics?
Antibiotics help you fight infection, but they can wreak havoc on even the strongest gut. Using probiotics and prebiotics can help protect your gut from antibiotic-related gut disorders.
Improper Nutrition Usually Leads to Gut Disorders
You are indeed what you eat, and a poor diet can lead to gut disorders. The traditional food pyramid may help you understand the role that your diet plays in the proper functioning of the body.
How Stress Affects the Gut: Our Second Brain
Many studies have explored the relationship between the gut and brain, and they have repeatedly found them to be quite codependent. Unfortunately, stress and abdominal pain do seem to go hand in hand.
How a Change in Season Affects the Body
If seasonal changes bring about anxiety, irritability, or various gastric disorders, you should consider taking the necessary precautions to delay or to prevent the onset of these conditions.
Traveling Could Have a Negative Impact on Your Gut Flora
There are a few gut disorders that can occur while you are travelling, but there are ways of preventing them. Learning about why these digestive issues occur may change the way you travel in the future.
- What's Causing Your Abdominal Pain and How to Treat It, Healthline, December 2020 [quoted June 2021] https://www.healthline.com/health/abdominal-pain
- Why Do I Have Hard Bowel Movements and How Do I Treat It, Healthline, October 2018 [quoted June 2021] https://www.healthline.com/health/hard-stool
- What causes abdominal pain and diarrhea? Medical News Today, January 2020 [quoted June 2021] https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323852
- Abdominal pain in adults, Better Health, [quoted June 2021] https://www.betterhealth vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/abdominal-pair-in-adults
- Can Lying Down After Eating Cause Indigestion? Healthline, January 2020 [quoted June 2021] https://mww.healthline.com/health/lying-down-after-eating
- Probiotics, Cleveland Clinic, September 2020 [quoted June 2021] https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/14598.probiotics
- Why handwashing is such a big deal, Michigan State University, October 2018 [quoted June 2021] https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/why-handwashing-is-such-a-big-deal
- Study Finds Probiotics After Antibiotics May Not Help Your Health, Healthline, December 2018 [quoted June 2021] https://www.healthline,com/health-news/should-you-take-a-probiotic-while-taking-an-antibiotic
- Bacillus Clausii, Science Direct, 2014 [quoted June 2021] https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/bacillus-clausii